Become a Volunteer—Join Our Team!
Volunteers play an integral role in the Simsbury Land Trust’s efforts to protect open space and host education and recreation programs each year. Whether helping with trail maintenance or habitat improvements at one of our protected properties, assisting and planning recreation programs, providing technical assistance, or helping with office work, volunteers allow the Simsbury Land Trust to protect properties and provide public programs that would otherwise not be possible.
If you are interested in volunteering, please download our Volunteer Form, fill it out, and send it to our Volunteer Coordinator who will contact you to discuss your interests in more detail. Opportunities vary season by season and year by year.
Mail the form to: Simsbury Land Trust, P.O. Box 634,
Simsbury, CT 06070
Out and About
Trail building and repair—create or improve trails and structures at Simsbury Land Trust properties
- Join a group of trail volunteers for a workday
- Work individually with volunteer property steward to improve/repair trails and maintain property.
- Projects can include field maintenance, brush clearing, and building of bridges and infrastructures
Trail stewardship/monitoring—adopt a trail in your community
- “Adopt” a favorite trail or trails: regularly walk conservation area trails and help keep them well marked; clear off fallen limbs and trash
- Habitat improvement work
Outdoor program assistant—assist our with public recreation and education programs
- Serve as a member of the Education Committee. Help with planning education programs, set-up, general assistance. No specific knowledge is required
- Serve as a member of the Recreation Committee. Help plan and/or lead recreation programs for Simsbury Land
Trust members and the public at large
Photographing protected properties
- Visit recently protected properties to take photos for potential use in SLT publications, slide shows, and website (digital pictures preferred)
Town records/historic research
- Conduct research for historic information on Simsbury Land Trust properties
Special events volunteer
- Assist during special events with planning, check-in, set up, clean up, parking, decorating, meeting guests
At Home or in Our Office
- Help us stay on top of local coverage of Simsbury Land Trust projects and relevant conservation news by clipping local and regional articles and sending them to us on a monthly basis
- Help us write special outreach and publicity materials
- Legal services
- Educational workshops
- Appraisal services
- Donate art, photography or design services
- Fundraising assistance, including making fund solicitation calls, coordination of calls and appointments, party planning and print materials
- Help design and/or construct area structures such as boardwalks, benches, bridges, and signs
Business/retail shop owners
If you don’t see the right match for you here, we would like to talk to you about your skills and interests and how you can help.