About the Simsbury Land Trust
To protect scenic vistas, geological features and farmland that visually define Simsbury’s character and provide healthy habitats for local wildlife and plants.
Founded in 1976, the Simsbury Land Trust is a not-for-profit and tax exempt under section 501 (c) 3 of federal law. The organization is governed by a volunteer board of trustees elected by the membership. There are currently over 880 member families.
- Acquired 29 parcels of land, representing over 830 acres of permanently protected land.
- Increased membership from 325 in 1998 to over 880 in 2007.
- Successfully raised over $4.35 million in public and private donations for the Campaign for Simsbury, protecting more than 400 acres of land.
- Celebrated 30th anniversary in October 2007, with over 200 Simsbury residents participating.
- Built the “Bog Walk” off North Saddle Ridge Drive. This allows a close up view of the 40 acres of unique wetland without damage to the fragile surface vegetation.
- Installed informational signs on four recreation trails, providing interesting facts and historical information about the properties.
- Increases public awareness of land protection issues by producing Landlines, a newsletter sent annually to all Simsbury residents.
- Organizes more than 20 recreation and education activities for members and residents, with nearly 500 participants annually.
- Publishes The Simsbury Walkbook: A Guide to Local Hiking, available to members free of charge.
- Maintains a website www.simsburylandtrust.org to keep members up-to-date on activities, news and events.
- Sponsors an annual photography contest which attracted over 75 entries in 2007.
Working Together to Preserve Simsbury’s Natural Beauty and Healthy Environment:
As we approach full development, the choices we make regarding which parcels are best suited for houses and commercial development, and which to leave as permanent opens space become critical. Together we have the opportunity to have growth and the natural beauty we often take for granted. Join the Simsbury Land Trust today and help preserve the natural beauty surrounding us!